For those of you that live near our brick and mortar office, you’re spoiled and you have access to incredible pre-made paleo meals by Real Clean Paleo. This recipe is for the rest of you. Or for those of you that LOVE what RCP does and want a chance to expand the offerings for dinner at home.
What is Paleo? Essentially the “Paleo Diet” is one of the easiest to follow. If you picture what a hunter/gatherer population would eat - those are the foods allowed on a Paleo Diet.
Paleo is what existed before the agricultural way of eating came about. Prior to mass farming and the development of more processed foods, we ate very simply. Think fruits, vegetables, and meats/fish.
I made this recipe this week and everyone LOVED it! #MrParker was a huge fan and felt it paired well with corn on the cob and peas. (his personal favorite). I hope that my take on Paleo Italian Meatloaf is a win at hour house as well.
- 2 lbs 85% lean grass-fed ground beef
- 2 room temperature eggs
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp paleo ketchup, or tomato paste
- 1 small onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp ghee for cooking onion and garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp powdered mustard
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley leaves
- ½ cup chopped basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4-1/3 cups Paleo ketchup for the top of the loaf with 1 Tbsp powdered mustard mixed in
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium skillet saute the onions in the ghee. Add the garlic as the onions start to soften. Continue to cook and stir often for about one minute then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, eggs, almond flour, 3 Tbsp ketchup, salt, mustard, parsley, basil, and black pepper. Mix with your hands until well incorporated. Finally, mix in the onion and garlic - be careful as it may still be hot. Make sure not to overmix.
- Pack the mixture into a 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove and spread ketchup with mustard mixed in over the top of the loaf, return to oven and continue to bake for 40-45 more minutes until center is cooked (an internal temp of 160 degrees F)
- Allow the meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes or so, then slice and serve, garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with steamed broccoli or asparagus. Enjoy!
If you prepare this for your family take a photo and share with the tag #LifestyleIsMyMedicine. We can’t wait to be a part of your family dinner!