Now that summer is wrapping up, lets talk exfoliation. Skin is the largest organ of the human body and plays an important role in elimination. Fall is a great time to set the refresh button and remove that dead skin, unblock pores due to sweating and sunscreen, and get in a little bit of self care.
The best way to start is with a good dry brushing session. The mechanical action of dry brushing is wonderful for exfoliating dry winter skin. It also helps detoxify by increasing blood circulation and promoting lymph flow/drainage. Dry brushing unclogs pores in the exfoliation process. It also stimulates your nervous system, which can make you feel invigorated afterward.
The best way to dry brush is to always move upwards and in towards your heart. This shouldn’t take long, a few minutes max. That’s when we get to move on to the fun part. I love mixing up my own sugar/salt scrubs with some essential oils and coconut oil. Hop in the shower, give yourself a nice rubdown, inhale those oils, take a few deep breaths and enjoy your new dewy soft skin.
DIY Pumpkin Spice Body Scrub
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil almond, olive or coconut work best
- 1/2 teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spices or 1 teaspoon cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix together. You can add more or less oil to your liking.
- Store in an air tight container. Since this recipe doesn’t contain any preservatives, it’s best if it’s used within a month or two.
There are some great dry brushes out there, even on amazon! Start with one day a week and at most 2 sessions a week. You have have to experiment with a variety of brush types until you find the one you love. We promise this will become one of your favorite beauty and health routines!